Monday, January 02, 2012

The Happiest of New Years

It occurs to me that I have yet to write a New Year's post.

I seem to miss the bus when it comes to most everything, so why should this surprise me?

So, let me be the 843,237th person to wish you the Very Happiest of New Years!  May this year bring you joy and tears, wealth and want, and most of all, the ability to be thankful to God for all of it.

And now, on to our previously scheduled post about the past few days...

Christmas was different this year.

How can I explain it?

For one, Sis and I determined early on not to exchange gifts.  Times being what they are, we decided to only buy for the old and the young.  Since Dad's wife passed away this year he decided to join us for our celebration, and had a cousin drive him up to the city.  We had cookies and pies and candies, and watched the elders and the youngsters open presents.  Then everyone stuck around and talked  and ate while the college-aged crowd looked for an excuse to leave and get away from it all.

Because family at that age is BO. RING.  Especially if there aren't presents involved.  Who could blame them?

After that side left, it was time for the rest of the family to show up.  There were people galore, and presents coming out of the woodwork.  After all the presents were handed out, I yelled "On your mark, get set, GO!" just like I used to at Mom's, and we all dug in.

I just sat there and watched wrapping paper fly, listened to exclamations of glee from the children, and accepted hugs on a liberal basis.  I was in my element.

And finally...FINALLY...I felt like Christmas had come back again.

It left after Mom died.  It was never what it had been.  But this year, for the first time, I felt as though the baton had been passed down to me and I got to feel what she felt each year as she watched us all open presents.

That, my friends, was the greatest gift I got this year.

Next year I'm thinking we might combine the two celebrations so everyone can feel the joy.

In other news, we're coming upon the As Yet Unrecognized Holiday on Friday of this week, where I become officially eligible to join the AARP.  No, I won't be 60, but a mere child of 55.  They're trying to foist membership on BABIES nowadays. 

Honestly.

Pioneer Woman and I share the same birthday, so I'm thinking we should say we're the same age.  I'll be generous and use her age instead of mine.  After all, she needs the publicity, right?

Happy 2012!

No comments: