Friday, January 06, 2012

First Friday's Fave Five


This alone will shock the world as we know it.  I have never participated in one of these before, but have enjoyed them FOREVER, so I thought it was about time I contributed.  Thanks, Susanne, for hosting all this time and providing uplifting thankful things for us to realize in our daily lives!


So here's my list...

  1. The quiet.  This morning Hubster has gone off to work out with Eldest Son and I got up early.  No one else is awake yet, so I was able to enjoy a cup of coffee in peace.  Ahhhh.....
  2. The Internet. Through it, I've been able to meet so many different people from so many different places and developed friendships and seen new perspectives I never would have seen before.  My experiences would be "book only" instead of "semi-live" and I would have never had faces or names to put with those books.  Plus, need I mention the SHOPPING???  Or the coupons?  Or the ease of communication, or....or....or....  For those of us who grew up in the Stone Age with Fred Flintstone, it is indeed a miracle.
  3. A new church home.  For so long after Mom died, there was a fight going on between me and God.  I was angry with Him for allowing things to happen to her, allowing her to suffer as she did, before her death.  I didn't want to go to church.  I had a hard time even praying.  But eventually I started to heal, and along with that healing came the need to find a new church home.  Thankfully, we found the right place for us and are now attending regularly and working in the programs again.  God is good.
  4. A job I love.  And sometimes hate, just like everyone else.  But for the most part, 99% of the time, I love it.  I get to help people.  Sometimes not in the way I had originally imagined, sometimes more than I had imagined, but I always get to help people.  It's a wonderful place to be!
  5. Home-made, three-layered German Chocolate Cake.  Straight from the recipe on the German Chocolate bar.  Mom used to make them for my birthday every year, and I've decided that this year I'll be making my own.  I've missed them far too long.

I know there are many more I could list, but these are the five that stand out today.  What are yours?


7 comments:

Shannon said...

Yummy...I could go for some German Chocolate!

Have a great week.

Marg said...

Welcome to FAVE FIVE. I had slowed down in blogging because of so many other duties...but decided this is a place like yourself where we can share. I love that Cake, and loving a job makes life so much better. I'm also in the Helping People business.
Keep coming back.

Barbara H. said...

Welcome to FFF! I love quiet time at home.

I so love the Internet as well. Did most of my Christmas shopping online and relished saving all that time and gas.

So glad you have a new church home and that you're healing from the loss of your mom. My mom passed away 6 years ago, and I don't think we ever stop missing our loved ones, but time and God's grace do help.

That cake sounds luscious -- my mouth is literally watering.

Jerralea said...

I'm so glad you decided to participate in FFF. It's a great group of people that participates.

It's great that you have healed enough to find a new church home. What a blessing church can be!

I agree with you, the internet is such a blessing. I really enjoy it.

ellen b said...

So glad you have come to peace with God over your mom's suffering. God is good. We just found a new church home this last year. It is so good to feel at home again.
Oh my now you have me craving German Chocolate Cake!!

Susanne said...

Hi Chris, so glad you've joined in again at FFF!

I can relate to your quiet moment of peace. It's so nice when that comes around.

So glad you have found a new church home and are getting involved. God is good and I pray he continues to heal your heart. I can totally relate to your situation as you know.

And now I'm craving a good German chocolate cake!

Willow said...

Welcome to FFF. Focusing on our weekly blessings really is a great exercise. I'm glad you've found a good church home. And yes, the internet is GREAT!