Saturday, August 08, 2009

Never Too Old To Turn Heads

I just got back from taking my mother-in-law, who is 94 this year, to the library.

It is a little over 137 degrees in the shade here. Being as no one in their right mind would venture outside for any length of time, and being as she was out of books on CD, we decided to library-ize. She can't see well and depends on audiobooks to pass the time.

As we walked in my MIL changed before my eyes into a drill sergeant.

"Take me to a librarian. You lead the way because I can't see. She'll help me find the books I want." Yes MA'AM!

Once she had the librarian in tow I was free to roam about the building. But I stayed close to watch the show.

"Now Honey, find me some books by Morris. Gilbert Morris. And I'd like some by Nicholas Sparks. You'll have to read the back of the jacket to me because I can't see to tell if I've read it before. That's why I listen to the books instead of reading the large print."

Several books were presented, and all were taken. "Karen Valentine? Oh, she's new! Sherrod? No, I haven't read her before. I'll take that one, too!"

"OH! Another new author! Oh Honey, I'm so glad to get a new author! You're great at this! Thank you!"

The drill sergeant disappeared, and she gushed about the new books, five in all, that she had to read. As we approached the checkout counter an elderly gentleman who had followed us to the audiobooks came up to her. He started up a conversation, and before I knew it he was flirting - with my 94-year-old mother-in-law.

She wasn't blind to his advances. She flirted right back, letting him know she was alone in her home most of the time. But then we had to leave and get back home. The conversation was cut short before love had time to bud, much less bloom.

Once in the car I teased her about her "beau" from the library. She gave as good as she got, though.

"I don't need anyone to look after at my age. I've done that before, and I'm DONE taking care of someone else!"

But when she thought I wasn't looking, she smiled.

No comments: