Friday, July 24, 2009

You Gotta Have Friends

My childhood friend, Cindabel, has a part of my heart.

We are exactly one month apart in age, with her being the MUCH older and unfortunately much wiser of the both of us. We seldom see each other, but when we do we act somewhat like sisters. After forty-five years or so of knowing each other people tend to do that.

And margaritas help.

She always seems to sense when things are not going particularly well for me, even though we only talk sporadically. The past couple of weeks have been a tough row to hoe what with selling the house and Mom's birthday coming up next Wednesday. I find myself in tears a lot of the time for no reason, yet I know what the reason is.

I miss Mom.

I know it's part of the "grieving process" to get upset around birthdays and holidays and special events, especially the first year. I know that.

But I'm here to tell you, it sucks eggs. Big time. BIG ROTTEN EGGS.

So in the middle of this, in the middle of all my "poor me, poor, poor me" stuff, I get a card in the mail yesterday from my good friend Cindabel. The friend I love like a sister. The friend who thinks about me from time to time.

To paraphrase, (since I don't have it in front of me) it says, "Friends make each other laugh." Open the card and it says, "Good friends make each other snort!" It also had a lovely, caring note written on the inside.

It was just what I needed to brighten my day.

Well, that and a couple of margaritas with Cindabel.

We'll work on the second one.

Thank you, Cindy. Now I HAVE smiled in a hundred years.

No comments: