Saturday, July 04, 2009

Foundering On The Fourth

Must. Stop. Eating.

Oh my word. If my hand goes from some sort of foodstuff to my mouth just once more today, my entire digestive system will spontaneously explode and engulf the known world in a regurgitous mess that would equal none other.

Today I planned to have a big meal to celebrate the Fourth. Since Hubster and the rest of the clan are going out to SIL's for the evening and I'm not allowed to accompany them, I thought we needed to have our own little celebration here.

Only "little" was not exactly what it turned out to be.

Earlier in the week I dropped by the Farmer's Market and picked up sweet corn and tomatoes, then found some green beans. I purchased the other ingredients later on, and it seemed as though the meal just kept on growing in my mind until I began preparing it today. So here's what we had:

Fried Chicken

Mom's Potato Salad

Mom's Baked Beans

Fresh Green Beans

Fresh Sliced Tomatoes

Fresh Corn-on-the-cob

Wilted Lettuce

Homemade Strawberry Shortcake

Homemade Banana Ice Cream

Leftover Coconut Flan

We had Pseudo Daughter, her dad, and Boyfriend over as guests, but there was still plenty left over for another meal. And since this was LUNCH, I'm thinking there will be enough left over for my DINNER tonight while everyone is out shooting off fireworks elsewhere.

So if you happen to hear a particularly loud BOOM! come from around these parts later on tonight, you can say you were warned.

Oh, it's a hard life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too funy! I know exactly how you feel!
Debbie in MS