Friday, January 23, 2009

Kickin' Butt and Takin' Names

Oh, the fun, it never ends.

Today was no exception.

This morning, after over 24 hours without caffeine or chocolate, I was subjected to a chemical stress test. Seems as though the last one without chemicals wasn't detailed enough, so they wanted to get a better picture of things.

So to speak.

And it added to my stress and general anxiety not one whit that they ordered the results as "RUSH" - not one whit. Because I was already a nervous wreck when I went in for the test to begin with. You see, they left me waiting in the waiting room for over an hour before they called me back to do this little thing. And I can't tell you how much that helped my overall well-being and outlook on what little life I thought I had left as I walked down the longest yard to the test that meant my certain doom.

Not that I'm the least bit pessimistic or anything.

Actually, the test itself wasn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined it to be. I would do it again over a regular stress test in a heartbeat.

So to speak.

Afterwards I picked up knee x-rays to take to the orthopedic guy. Since the report from the imaging place was degenerative osteoarthritis, I was expecting him to prescribe some anti-inflammatory medication. At worst I expected him to suggest some kind of shots.

The verdict? Surgery.

Seems as though he believes I have a torn meniscus, and that requires arthroscopic surgery to repair. I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday to confirm, and a followup appointment the next Tuesday.

(muttermuttermuttermuttermutter)

He's given me a 10-year guarantee on the surgery, which is a plus. It would be better to not have it in the first place, but I'll take the guarantee.

Because, as we all know, it's hard to kick butt without a good knee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waiting IS the worst part it seems.
Knee surgery has come a long way, hopefully it will all go well with minimal pain. Ill be thinking about you.

Linds said...

I knew it! We are twins afetr all! The MRI.... just remember not to swallow. I was lying flat on my back and after a few minutes, swallowed, and then had to cough. This is not good. They were yelling lie absolutely still, Linds, and I was making a choice between clear pictires or a corpse on the MRI table. I coughed.

Thank you SO much for the call this morning, even if I was toally befuddled to start with. It made my day!

You will be a new person after the arthroscopy. And hopefully the pain will be history too. I will be praying for you my friend. Especially that you don't cough.