Saturday, October 28, 2006

No Commercial - Just Good Advice

During my blogging hiatus I've managed to do several things. Some have been beneficial, and some...well, not so much.

One of the more beneficial things I've been doing is cooking dinner. I've cooked dinner every night this week save one. On that night my husband decided to take us out for the evening. If he hadn't, you would have found me slaving over a hot stove, loose strands of hair curling around my sweat-stained face, steam roiling up off of pots and pans, a sink full of dirty dishes, smudges of flour on my nose, a dirty apron tied around me, and the dog licking up spills from the floor.

Not.

Because really y'all, I'm lucky to get home in time to pull whatever has been in the crockpot out, heat up a couple of cans of vegetables, make a salad and round up the troops to devour the taste-tempting delights of my version of a quick "gore-may" dinner. It may not be pretty, but it's filling. And somewhat nutritious. In an eat-it-or-go-hungry sort of way.

One of the things that has been helping me this week is that I just picked up our first order of
Angel Food. No, it's not cake mix. Yes, it IS a great cost and time saver. Angel Food is helping my family eat much better for much less than I could ever imagine.

For $25, we received a box filled with 3 large bags of different kinds of boneless chicken, a pork roast, bake-and-eat refrigerator cookies, pasta, spaghetti sauce, cereal, rice, bean soup mix, pancake mix, potatoes, onions, eggs, a boxed meal similar to Hamburger Helper, canned pineapple, and many other items I can't even remember.

That box was LOADED.

You can purchase one unit (box) or multiple units. Extra items are available as well for an extra cost. This month I could have picked up 60 corn dogs for an additional $18. Instead, I chose a box of cordon bleu for the same price. Next month I can get assorted steaks. Orders have to be placed and picked up on certain dates, and the sponsoring church where I got mine took only cash or money orders. If you don't pick up your food on the day it's available, it gets donated to the needy. And if there are things in your box you know you can't or won't use, your local food pantry will be happy to get them. Because really, at the price you pay for this stuff it's like getting free food.

Now, for those of you who may be saying "What's a nice middle-class woman in her extremely late 30's with a nice home, nice car, nice job, nice husband and a fairly-nice-but-it-still-gets-really-tight-before-payday income doing taking charity like that??" let me say this.
Angel Food is not a charity. It's not just for those who can't afford to put food on the table. It's not just for anyone at all.

It's for EVERYONE.

It's not a handout, but it is a way for those of us who may have tight budgets to feed our families for less. It's also a way for people who are blessed with more to be able to bless more people by cutting food costs. It's good stewardship of the gifts God has given us.

It's a blessing.

Please do go and visit their web page for further details. The address is:

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

And now, we return you to your regularly scheduled blogging....

Psalm 107:9 ... for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

3 comments:

HeyJules said...

I'm sorry...you're in your late thirties?

That makes me what...29???

Cool!

kpjara said...

What a cool link! Thank you very much!

Chris said...

Jiminy...

I said "EXTREMELY LATE" thirties...

49 is extemely late to be in your thirties, isn't it??? :)