Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Nag, Nag, Nag



It is hard for me to remember my twenties.

It isn't difficult to remember what actually happened, even though I am of a certain age.  It's just hard to remember because it causes me pain.

I was a really, really stupid person back then.  I've learned a lot, but I can still be really, really stupid at times.  Stupid is as stupid does, and I does stupid well.

That's why I HAVE to remember what it was like to be in my twenties.  And that's why I have to give some grace to my kids.

It's rough to do that sometimes.

For instance, a certain woman in her twenties still has her health insurance paid by us, even though she may or may not be covered by her new employer at this moment.  That is a $150.00 question - the amount it costs us each month to be sure she's covered with private insurance.  If I knew for certain that she was covered by her employer now, I could drop the coverage we have, thereby saving $150.00 each month.

However, getting that information from her is similar to trying to train a worm to jump through a hoop.

If I ask and she agrees to get it but doesn't follow through, that turns me into a nagging mother each additional time I ask.  The expressive "YES, Mother!" texts I get after each subsequent reminder inform me that she is none too pleased with being asked yet again for the information I need. Because she has no stake in this, she really doesn't care. Short of calling her employer myself, I have no way to find out what I need to know.

So, what would you do in this situation?

No comments: