Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Chris Rice is My Type


I am all about the stress-free, relaxed, honey-coated voice of Chris Rice!  Where has he been all my life?

I was in the mood for a hymn today, and found one he was singing.  From then on, I was hooked. The album pictured above is now a staple in my Amazon Prime listening library, playing as we speak.

Honestly, has he been hiding under a rock somewhere?

Truth be told, I am old.  I don't like that "new-fangled" music they play nowadays on the radio.  I have indeed become my grandmother. Next thing you know, I'll be lifting up my bottom plate with my tongue and letting it hang out of my mouth because it's too tight on my gums.

Just call me "Maw-maw."

Our church rarely has us sing, and even more rarely plays the old hymns.  I think sometimes I miss my Baptist roots...at least when it comes to music. I grew up on them, and know most of the words to most of the tunes. Even though we haven't attended a church that regularly sings hymns for over 20 years, it is still a comfort to me sometimes to harmonize to the old songs.  My children won't have that, since they rarely, if ever, sing hymns.

I tend to hang on to the known, the familiar, the comfort.  I don't know if it shows up here, but I am not one to change the status quo.  Oh, in my younger, more adventurous days, you couldn't hold me back from trying new things! But nowadays, I just don't seem to have the energy to venture forth.

Take the spacing after a sentence. Try as I might, I just cannot wrap my head around single-spacing after a period. I might do it for a while when writing, but inevitably I will go back to the familiar double-space-at-the-end-of-a-sentence I learned in high school when I took typing class.

Yes, TYPING.  Not KEYBOARDING.  There were no such things as keyboards back in the dark ages.  And the machine I TYPED on was not electric.  You had to pound the keys with force! Otherwise, you ended up with TYPE on the PAPER that couldn't be seen.

Sigh.

And we had to walk to school, uphill both ways, in sixteen feet of snow.

I have now become my father.

Enough for the first post of 2015.

Happy New Year!

No comments: