Tuesday, November 05, 2013

To the Write


Last night there was a NaNoWriMo event at the same local library.  It was aptly named "Come Write In."  Writers were to come in and spend a couple of hours working on their NaNo projects, have some snacks, and talk with each other.  It started at 7 p.m.

I arrived at 6:45 in order to get my seat reserved, knowing there would be hordes of novelists fighting over outlets for their laptops.  I sat down, plugged in, and began writing.

The librarian in charge brought out snacks and coffee, and set them up on the same table used at last Saturday's "party."  I mentioned to her that I thought there would be more people there last Saturday, and she told me that I and one other that she could see were the only ones who attended.  She hoped more would show up for the Write In.  She told me to help myself to the snacks, and if I needed anything or if she could help with anything at all, she'd be glad to assist me.

I had my own coffee (since I'm a coffee snob), and the snacks provided were what looked to be the same doughnuts from last Saturday.  I wasn't hungry, and I felt so sad for the young lady who desperately wanted people to show up.  I sat in my comfortable chair with my good coffee, and actually managed to write.  I worked on two different scenes and glossed up another.

No one else showed up the entire time I was there.

Another librarian happened by as I was writing.   She grabbed a cup of coffee and asked if there was anything she could do to help me.  We chatted for a bit about NaNo and the writing before she went back to the desk and I continued to work.

When I decided it was time to go I was personally invited back for the next session.

While it obviously wasn't the best attended event from the librarians' point of view, it suited me just fine!  I had a quiet place to write, no Monday Night Football playing in the background, and people willing to help in any way they could.  It was a good night.

I ended up the evening with about 1500 words and two new friends.  That's a plus in (and for) any book!

No comments: