Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Catching Up

Well then...

Having been absent these past few days, I find a need to catch up with you, Faithful Reader...

...whether you like it or not.

Let's go back to the yoga class, shall we?

I was in a quandary because there was absolutely nothing in my closet or bureau drawers that I considered to be remotely suitable attire for this class.  So the day before the class (never let it be said that I procrastinate) I went to Wal-Mart, where all the fashionistas go for yoga wear.  I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg (ha) for something I might never do again, so this seemed to be the logical solution.

I drove myself crazy trying to find something...ANYTHING I could wear that wouldn't make me look like a complete fool.  I succeeded in finding an outfit that made me look only partially foolish after much weeping and wailing and the usual gnashing of teeth.  It was not pretty.  I believe I called Cindabel approximately five times during the process to relieve my angst.

Forward to Saturday...

Cindabel and I arrived at the Yogarama (for lack of a better word) early.  In the parking lot we noticed many women who had just completed class.  They all carried colorful mats with stylish carrying straps, and to a woman dressed in workout clothes.  Not the t-shirt and loose pants I decided on, but WORK. OUT. CLOTHES.

I was doomed.

We went into the studio and were asked to immediately remove our shoes.  I don't know if they considered the studio holy ground, but it seemed that way.  After signing in, we all processed in line to the room where we would yoga (can that be a verb?).  We got provided mats, cushions, and blankets and set up on the wooden floor to....yoga.

Becky, our instructor, was the epitome of calm and serenity.  We went through breathing, stretching, and finally a few poses.  I knew in my heart that I would fall over if anything was too hard to do, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found there was no balancing on the tip of my fingers upside down with my legs in a big "Y" above me.  In fact, I didn't fall over even once!

And the best part?  I started feeling better after the first standing stretch.  REALLY better.  Better enough that I wanted to do that every single day for the rest of my life if I could.

Cindabel felt much the same way, so we looked for yoga classes we could do together.  However, since she lives an hour away, it was hard to find classes in the middle distance-wise.  She decided bad weather might be on the horizon and she didn't really want commit to drive that far.  We decided we'd try again in the spring.

In the meantime, since I was hooked, I talked Sis into doing a class at a local community center.  We both signed up for the class that starts the 22nd of this month.  I can't wait.

In other news, I took a writing class this past Saturday.  It wasn't a for-credit class, but one given by an established author from California.  I'm hoping to try out her formula as soon as I can get enough time.

I've also been mystery shopping to try and earn a little extra cash for Christmas. So far I've done a couple of grocery stores and a couple of cell phone providers, and I have another grocery store scheduled next week.

Needless to say, we're busy around here.

I'm reading Jennifer Chiaverini's fiction about the Elm Creek Quilters, and that makes me want to learn how to quilt.  That may be the next thing Cindabel and I do together...if the joints hold out.  Steroid shots are a blessing, but they don't last nearly long enough!

So, that's it from my little part of the world.  How about you?

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I've sorta mostly been missing in action on the blog. So busy around here right now. I've never tried and official yoga class but I do love stretch classes. Make me feel great.