Friday, August 09, 2013

Family Day



Sis and I will spend time tomorrow catching up on each others' lives. I miss her.

Tomorrow night we will join Eldest Son and his wife for dinner at a steak place we all enjoy.  It's been too long since we've seen them, too long since we've shared time.

I was supposed to attend a conference for writers this weekend, but family seemed more important, somehow.  I need to take more time with the people I love, the ones who are given to me, and treat them as the gift they are.  I saw that today.

Today I got ready for work early.  Hubster came in with three of our five grandchildren, ages 8, 5 and 3.  Today is the littlest one's birthday.

She ran to me and hugged my legs, then lifted her arms to be picked up.  She laid her head on my shoulder.  Is there any feeling in the world better than that for a grandma?

She helped me as I released the fruit flies I'd captured into the garden.  She looked at a sign I have that says "SUMMER."  We spelled each letter together.  Then she said, "That spells 'IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!'"  Then she and I snuggled on the couch together, spending special grandma time.

That extra time spent with her, loving on her, was exactly what I needed.  It blessed my soul.

So this weekend will be all about family.  We'll take the time this weekend we may not usually take, and love on those we need to love on every day.

Not just Family Day.


No comments: