Monday, February 04, 2013

The Shack



The Shack is a book I've avoided since it was written.

I had heard it was a good read, but I'd also heard it was about a man dealing with the death of his child.  At the time the book came out I was in no shape to live vicariously through someone else's pain, so I ignored it.  Mom was in the process of dying, and losing her was enough without having to deal with another's feelings about losing someone they loved.

When I came across the audio version of the book a few weeks ago I figured enough time had passed.  Time for things to feel not quite so raw and exposed.  Time for God to re-enter my life as more than just Someone who took Mom from me.  Time to accept and move on without leaving her behind.

Those of you who have read The Shack will know that the first part of the book rips out the heart of the main character and tears it into tiny shreds.  The rest of the book glues all those shreds together to make it whole again.

That's exactly what happened to me.  But in a strange way, the book became  not about the main character healing, but about me healing instead.

The personifications and richness of the three parts of God, the simple truths told, and the story line that wove them all together kept me spellbound.  It is rare that I will like a book enough to ever read it twice, yet I started on this one again immediately.  I want to remember what it portrays so very well - the goodness and love of God in all His manifestations, no matter what happens.

If you are one of the few who haven't read The Shack, I would heartily encourage you to do so.  It will touch you where you live.

3 comments:

Linds said...

I loved it. There is the one part in the cave/cavern thingy which spoke to me so clearly and more than anything, I loved the way everyone talked about it, discussed it. A wonderful book. I am so glad you read it, Chris.

Susanne said...

I myself have never read the Shack. I tend to stear away from controversial novels as a rule. And allegorical stories are not my favorite reads. But now you've peaked my curiosity.

Chris said...

Susanne, DO read it.

I couldn't believe how much thinking I did during the reading about what was written, and how even today I'm STILL thinking about it.

Also, I understand he has a newer book out call Cross Roads. As soon as I can afford it or find it at the library, it will be next!