Monday, November 19, 2012

Painting, Painting, and More Painting

The past couple of weeks have seen me involved with something I almost never do if given the choice...physical labor.

The new house had 1980's wallpaper that fairly ached to be stripped.  After I accomplished that, I started in on the painting.  And the painting.  With a side of painting thrown in for good measure.

So far I have 2.5 bedrooms done.  The Girl helped today since she's home on Thanksgiving break, and will likely help tomorrow as well.  Hubster has been occupied with putting in a new counter top in the kitchen and patching some drywall that needed to be removed.  I'm on "vacation" this week, although it's a working vacation!

The animal smell that fairly knocked us over when we first came into the house has faded somewhat.  I found that the previous owners had a dog, and apparently they believed it was OK for said canine to relieve itself in the corners of the bedrooms.

I KNOW.  Blech.

I applied liberal amounts of bleach to all the corners, and that seemed to get rid of the greatest part of the smell.  We hope that removing the carpets and painting the walls will make the rest of it disappear.

The roofer came out to repair the roof over the weekend, but when he looked under the tarps he couldn't find anything wrong to fix.  He said the entire roof checked out just fine!  It seems any damage was done by the bad guttering job, so he'll be fixing the gutters and replacing fascia boards.  That should take care of any water problems.

Hubster will be tackling the bathroom next, while I continue to paint.  After the last bedroom is finished, I'll move on to the hallway, living room, dining room, kitchen and family room.  Somehow I don't think I will be able to finish it all in one week.

Plans are to tile the entryway, kitchen floor and backsplash, and bathroom.  I'm hoping we can get away with white tile in the bath with small glass tiles as an accent.  The rest will need some color, even if it is beige.  Beige is a color, right?  I also plan to paint the kitchen cabinets.

I may have bitten off more paint than I can chew.


2 comments:

Linds said...

Wow. I am suitably impressed! Hard work, but it will be great once it is finished. We do get to see all the photos, I hope?

Susanne said...

Wow, go girl! I'm sure it will look great when it's all finished and you can finally catch your breath.

Just a side note, some of the animal smell may have gotten soaked up into the baseboards so a shot of bleach under and onto them too might help get rid of the rest of that smell.