Friday, June 08, 2012

Ah, Sweet Mystery of Sleep at Last I've Found You...

Sleep doctors are wise.

I know this, because I followed the advice of one and SLEPT last night.

I've been as tired as a dead horse that's been beaten most of the evenings after I get home from work.  That was due to both lack of sleep and side effects from the RA.  So in my infinite wisdom, I started going to bed early, which is what you do when you're tired, right?

Wrong.  At least in my case.

The doc said I was messing with my internal clock by going to bed early.  She said if I wanted to get up at, say, 6:30 a.m. (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!) I would not go to bed earlier than 10:30 p.m. the night before.  She told me to keep this time constant.

It seems that by going to bed early, my body was sleeping for a certain amount of time, then waking for a certain amount of time to compensate for how early I went to bed.  My body apparently doesn't need ten hours of sleep at night, so it woke me up for the hours it didn't need.

I think.

Of course it's all Highly Technical and all that, so one could not expect me to understand it.  What matters is that I followed her advice last night and slept.  No ambling, no 3 Ayem Blues.

I'm hoping the one-night trend continues for the next, oh, LIFETIME.

Because the sleep....it is SWEET.

1 comment:

Linds said...

Wonderful! I never go to bed before midnight, and often that includes falling asleep on the couch, which I am well known for, of course. But I have a bath at midnight and when I get into bed, I do sleep. Maybe not for long, but at least I get a few hours of rest. Aiyaiyai, this getting older lark is not funny at all.