Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Who Is Abbey, and Why Is She Downtown?



My mad deductive skilz are honed to a fine, sharp edge.

I recently decided I was not In The Loop as far as television is concerned.  I don't really watch TV much.  So it was when I read blogs that touted the brilliance of a new show, I decided to find out what all the fuss was about.  The show was Downton Abbey, a Masterpiece Theater Classic.

It is set in 1912, just after the Titanic went down, in an English country manor.  It tells of the goings-on of the Lord-ly and Lady-ly persons, as well as the servants in the household.  Many servants.

Of course, being of Noble Heritage myself I can so relate to the characters who are waited upon hand and foot by the lowly servants.  MANY lowly servants.

I would venture to guess that there was even a servant to assist with outhouse-going, if you get my drift.  At least according to the MANY SERVANTS waiting upon this household of five.

But I digress.

The main reason for this post?  Not that I enjoy this particular show.  Oh no.

It's the fact that I thought it was about a girl named Abbey who lived DOWNTOWN.  I actually thought I had the wrong program when I first saw it.  Especially when the Lord of the Manor announced that Downton (DOWN TUN) must be saved at all costs.

I just thought it was a funny, British way to say DOWN TOWN.

I'll be headed back to Cluelessville now...

No comments: