Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's Hunkering Season

It was 30 degrees last night.

I wore actual shoes with actual socks to work yesterday.

I no longer turn on the air conditioner as soon as I walk in the door at home after work.

All of this has led me to officially declare it to be Autumn. 

I hate it as much as you do, but it's getting cold again.  The seasons, they are wont to change.  The chill is in the air, and I am having a hard time rising from my nice, warm bed in the mornings.  The daylight ends all too soon.  I find myself hunkering down with blankets, hot coffee, a good audiobook and my computer on the nights when I can stay awake.  On the nights I can't, I...well...sleep.

Princess Obvious, at your service.

I am already longing for the fresh, rain-soaked mornings of Spring, sunny and bright with their newness and growth and things to come.  If I'm weary of Autumn this early in, what's to become of me in the everlasting frigid plane of Winter?

I can see me now in a sheet of ice, hands reaching out to some unknown friend, mouth speaking a greeting as I am flash-frozen....never to thaw again.  That's how I feel every single eternal Winter, and I'm not looking forward to it one.  Little.  Bit.

In the meantime, we'll build fires in the fire pit, wrap up in old quilts, roast hotdogs and marshmallows, and enjoy the season for what it is.  Time enough to worry about what is to come when it gets here.

No comments: