Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Ah, SPRING!

Today holds the promise of Spring!

There are actual buds on the trees outside my window. Yesterday I noticed the daffodil shoots poking up through the ground. The temperatures here have hovered between 50 and 60 degrees F all week.

Dare I hope???

Last night I mentioned to Hubster that I'd like to order one of the above-ground beds from Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening site to put in the back yard so I don't have to grow my tomatoes in the front beds for all to see. For once he did NOT discourage me, but simply said it would be nice to have a "real" tomato for a change. If it meant we had to get this, then so be it.

My husband, the Encourager of All Encouragers. He still doesn't believe I can grow tomatoes, because the specimens I provided him last year weren't "red enough" or "big enough" or didn't match up to what Mom used to grow.

He has set a high mark, has Hubster. One I doubt I'll ever reach this side of Heaven. But that's OK, because Mom holds the medal and it's something for him to remember....even if I do come up with a passable fruit.

So plans of seedlings and soil are in my head. Radishes, leaf lettuce, bell peppers, green onions, and maybe some green beans to go with it all. In the end I'll be lucky to end up with just tomatoes.

However, from last year's experience I do have good things to report. The Scarecrow squirrel repeller along with a planting of marigolds worked wonders to keep the squirrels away from my tomatoes. I plan to plant a few marigolds in with the tomato plants and other vegetables this year as well, and you can be sure The Scarecrow will be a big part of my gardening. I highly recommend it to anyone with wildlife problems. It works like a charm!

And no, I am not being paid for promoting this product. I wish I was. :)

Since the marigolds were so easy to grow last year and looked so good for so long with almost no maintenance, guess what the front flower beds will be full of this year?

Yah, you betcha.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to peruse seed catalogs and drool. Not necessarily in that order.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Is that a picture of your gardens? They are beautiful!!

Chris said...

In my DREAMS! That's the stock photo of The Scarecrow.

My flowerbeds pale in comparison. That's why Hubster is always so dubious about the tomato-growing ability moi has.

Humph!

Unknown said...

Have you tried growing the hanging tomatoes or topsy turvy tomatoes or upside down tomatoes or what ever they are called? I have seen them hanging on porches and have wondered if anyone has actually gotten tomatoes from those. If I grow nothing else this year tomatoes will top my list.