Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Price Is Right

Yesterday I went in for some retail therapy. Sometimes it's just what a person needs to get out of the glums.

The Boy didn't feel well and asked me to go to the grocery store to pick up some Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. Because if it isn't Campbell's, he won't eat it. (For this, I blame his father.) I had to do a couple of things for my part-time job, so I left to do that before coming to The Boy's aid.

Because I think he was faking it in order to get out of mowing the yard, but that's another story.

I finished my jobs, then happened upon a nearby store where I wouldn't spend too much money. It's basically an overstock resale place called Big Lots. They have junk in there that's so cheap it's hard to overspend.

I grabbed a cart and started down the aisles. I'm an aisle-by-aisle shopper because I don't want to miss anything with a great price that I might not know I desperately need.

Trust me, it makes sense in MY mind.

So I'm tooling along Aisle 3 with my cart when I smell heavy-duty perfume on the breeze. Only there wasn't a breeze. It was more like a perfume bomb had exploded in the store and was leaving no survivors. At the opposite end of Aisle 3 two little old ladies are coming at me, and it is obvious by the increasing strength of the scent it is coming from them.

As they get beside me, one says, "Olivia, I think we should shop aisle by aisle. That way we won't miss anything." Of course, being the shy, demure person I am, I piped up and said, "That's the only way to do it!" The ladies smiled at me and nodded in agreement.

As they went down the aisle in the opposite direction, Olivia's friend Georgina COULD NOT BELIEVE the PRICES!!! "Oh look, Olivia!! Spoons for ONLY A DOLLAR!!! Have you ever SEEN prices like these???" And Olivia agreed. "Oh Georgina! These towels are ONLY four DOLLARS!!! Isn't that WONDERFUL???"

They made my whole therapy session. How great is it when people get such OBVIOUS enjoyment out of something? It just put a smile on my face when I listened to them. And I listened to them almost the entire time I was there, because we met in almost every aisle.

Once during All The Shopping, Olivia decided to wander off to the back of the store to see the bargains there. Georgina was just lost without her, and she let the whole store know.

"Olivia? Where are you? OLIVIA?? O-LIV-I-A??? I CAN'T FIND YOU!! OOOOLIIIIVIIIIIAAAAAHHHH!!! COME AND LOOK AT THIS!!!"

I felt so sorry for her, but at the same time I was laughing too hard to help. So I broke ranks and headed over to the food section.

They had HUGE cans Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup for ONLY A DOLLAR!!! I bought four.

OLIVIA!!! COME AND LOOK AT THIS!!!!

No comments: