Saturday, January 10, 2009

I Am Alive And Well And Living In An Undisclosed Location To Protect My Superhero Status

Welcome back, Interpeeps!

It's been a long dry spell here, but much has taken place. Allow me to elaborate, because if I don't I'll be writing about facial moisturizer, a topic which I assure you will have you on the very edge of your seat for a total of 3.5 seconds before you doze off into a fitful slumber.

You're welcome.

As you may recall, when last you visited here I mentioned something about eleven days of vacation. Actual VACATION. Blissful, not having to actually do ANYTHING, vacation. That's coming to an end after tomorrow, and I'll be headed back to work. So this is kind of a report of WHAT I DID ON MY WINTER VACATION, by ME.

Monday I slept in. Then long about noon or so I decided to take a shower. (Believe me, it gets better...) Later that afternoon I met Cindabel for immense amounts of Mexican food and beverages, followed by furniture shopping. It was quite comical to see us giggling as we tried to find suitable living room furniture for my household while under the influence of adult beverages with the help of geeky salespeople.

We know how to paint the town red, we do.

Tuesday was my birthday. Sis took me out to Starbucks to celebrate that morning, then we did estate-settling stuff until after noon. When I came home, I had a wonderful call from Linds, and Hubster and the kids gave me a present.

A GPS!!!!

I will no longer be lost! At least, I hope not. We took it out for a test drive, and I mistook what the lady was saying. She said "Turn right in point five miles..." and I thought she said "Turn right in five miles..." Hubster said I'm probably the only person on earth who will still get lost even with a GPS. The sad part is that I don't doubt it for a minute.

The best part of the birthday, bar none, was the cake Sis baked for me (German chocolate, like Mom used to), and my last birthday card from Mom. She had cards written out and signed for the family up through my birthday this year before she had the first stroke in June. What a gift that was!!!

Wednesday was another busy day with a cardiologist appointment. Hopefully no chemical stress test on the horizon, just a CT scan instead if the insurance will approve it. Thursday was busy as well. More shopping, followed by another night out with the girls. Kitti, HeyJules and I met for pizza and gab, and a good time was had by all.

Friday Hubster and I went to lunch and then back to the place with the geeky salesperson that Cindabel and I scoped out on Monday. He tried out the "sit" of the furniture, and we bought it. I stuck around to pick out the fabric while he went to his mother's house, then went shopping for a red electric can opener.

There is no such animal on the face of the earth. At least in any store within forty miles of here.

As I said, this post is packed with excitement.

Today Sis and I will meet at Mom's at 9 a.m. to begin the dismantling of her house. We'll take it slowly, but we intend to have the house up for sale this Spring. It's not going to be easy, this task, but I think we can get through it together. We have each other to lean on. That's a good thing.

The things I didn't accomplish on this vacation?
  1. Cleaning
  2. Wallpapering
  3. Laundry
  4. Dusting
  5. Mopping
  6. Cooking

The things that will still be there to do? All of the above. The guilt I feel for not doing them? NONE.

Well, maybe a little for the wallpaper...

4 comments:

HeyJules said...

Normally I would say don't feel guilty about the wallpaper either but I think it's been...oh, I don't know...three YEARS since you first mentioned needing to do it.

Girl, I'm going to show up on your doorstep one day with wallpaper scraper in hand so help me...

Linds said...

HEYJULES, JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR CAMERA TOO PLEASE!

This sounds like just the holiday you needed Chris. Excellent. Shopping and food seemed to feature high on the list and this is good. Not to mention the new GPS! One is relieved that one's friend may actually find her way to the nearest airport, should one decide to visit!

Susanne said...

Oh, the GPS thing made me laugh right out loud. Too funny.

Happy belated birthday to you. Sounds like you had a good week off.

groovyoldlady said...

I'm so glad you had some time to relax and eat and buy stuff and HAVE FUN. Happy belated birhtday!