Sunday, November 18, 2007

Day Eighteen - The Plague vs Dr. Feelgood

Did I mention that The Boy has had a bout with bronchitis here lately?

He coughed up a storm, ran a fever off and on, and was just generally miserable. He's recovering nicely now, and only coughs occasionally. We can actually be near him without him spreading The Affliction now, which is nice.

Yeah, really nice.

Except that BEFORE he got to this point, he was kind enough to share The Affliction with - you guessed it - ME. Because of that, I am now in the coughing-my-head-off-until-my-stomach-hurts-and-I-am-laid-low-with-the-stabbing-pains-in-my-head-from-lack-of-oxygen-because-I'm-coughing-so-hard stage.

And it is Oh, So Very Fun.

Especially when I'm in the middle of a theater trying to do my pseudo-job. The people, they love to have me there to listen to as an accompaniment to their viewing pleasure. The viewing pleasure for which they paid $9.00 or more American.

Oh yes, they do.

So it was with great trepidation that I approached the theater last night. I'd been coughing my proverbial head off most of the day, and actually put off going until later than I normally do for that very reason.

I managed to sit through most of Dan In Real Life without attracting too much attention to myself. Mostly because I sit in a seat at the very back of that auditorium right next to the door where I can make my escape should the coughing fits overtake me. It was good.

I then did the job part of the evening on the movie Love In The Time Of Cholera, and beat feet out of the auditorium before the movie started. After that I went to Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and found the auditorium to be completely empty. (After all, it was 10:45 p.m. when it started, and it really is more of a family film.) I coughed my heart out.


When I got home after the Great Adventure, I downed some of The Boy's cough syrup to try to stem All The Coughing.

It didn't work.

So after about an hour and a half I downed some more.

It still didn't work.

I was hacking up both lungs, and it was 3 a.m. There was no way I was going to sleep. Hubster got up to leave for work, and noted that I'd already become quite a night owl early into this vacation. I coughed at him.

Along about 4:30 a.m., after another dose of the cough syrup, I finally went to bed. Thankfully, I was finally able to sleep under the influence of untold amounts of codeine.

God Bless codeine.

However, I am back at it today, and with much gusto. Methinks a trip to the physician whose lifestyle I seem to be financing this year is in my future. And then there's Thanksgiving for thirty at my home on Thursday, with all that entails.

For right now, I'm going to try to go back to bed and listen to soothing, non-cough inducing music. I'll read, I'll drink plenty of fluids, I'll rest.

And tomorrow I'll go see Dr. Feelgood.


Linds said...

Oh no!!! This always happens when we start holidays, I find. Look after yourself, and get to that doctor.

Carol said...

Bless your heart...I hope you're feeling better quickly!