Saturday, June 09, 2007

In Which I Rock As A Grandma

Littlest Man is spending the night with us tonight.

At the tender age of 28 months (two years and 4 months for those of you who are not parents of young children), his energy knows no bounds. This is one reason I was happy to work my part-time job tonight and to leave All The Running to The Girl and The Boy and The Grandpa.

I got in about 10:30, and as I came up the stairs I heard Littlest Man crying. Seems as though all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't get Littlest Man to go to sleep.

Enter Her Royal Highness, the Grandma!

I picked him up and asked if he'd like to rock for a while. He said "Uh huh, Gamma" between sniffs and calmed down a bit. We went down to the rocking chair in the office, and "Gamma" sat down.

"Wock, Gamma!" he commanded.

And "wock" we did.

It took all of 3 minutes for him to be sound asleep, but I continued to rock him for another twenty. Not because I thought he'd wake up, but because I miss it. I miss the little arms around my neck, the little head on my shoulder, the utter comfort of that weight upon my chest. I miss the unconditional trust and love of a being that small. I miss the sweet baby smell, the smell of baby hair, and the little limbs that go limp as they let slumber take over. I miss being able to lay the sweet baby in bed without him ever opening an eye.

Sigh.

I know I could never, EVER survive another child at this age, and frankly, I don't want to try. I know that even if God were to perform a miracle and give me another child to love 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I would end up in some mental institution somewhere, rocking back and forth, back and forth, all day long while singing a tuneless "Nonny, nonny, nonny" to anyone who invaded my own little special world.

I know this for a fact.

And that's why God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, created the role of Grandma for me. It allows me a little bit of Heaven here on earth, in the form of someone who's two.

Thank You, God.

1 comment:

daisymarie said...

This so made me smile. For 6mo all three of our grandchildren (3yr, 18mo, and 1yr) lived with us. There were sweet times of rocking and lots of laughter, but I could not send them home at night. I miss the older for they have moved back home (mom and dad reconciled)...but I still have one to make me smile!