Thursday, March 01, 2007

Daisies From The Top Side


Honest to Pete, and Joe, and all the Harrys in the world...

If I live through the next couple of weeks I may actually join the living, breathing, blogging world again. Honest. I wouldn't kid you. We just don't have that kind of relationship, and besides, I'm too tired to fib.

Because I've been going through my own personal, very small, weird kind of hell these past two weeks.

I'm speaking, of course, about the Wonderful New Job. The WNJ (as it will be referred to henceforth) really may be W after it isn't a NJ anymore, but for now? Not so much. It isn't the WNJ itself, but rather the LEARNING of the DETAILS of the WNJ that is causing me such distress.

Well, not distress really, as much as Pure Unadulterated Terror that I will be left alone and not know a single thing I'm supposed to do. Kind of like that dream where you have to take a final in a class you haven't even attended for the entire semester, much less studied for, and to top everything off you're completely, starkly, BUCK NEKKID.

You know the one.

And then there's the trainer. The person who really doesn't want to quit, but did so because things weren't going well and doesn't really want to jade me or complain or anything, BUT....

You know the one.

The one who starts out telling you about California, then jumps to Massachusetts, but has to make a detour to Missouri, South America, Taiwan, Istanbul, and Australia along the way. So, you know, you can't actually CONNECT THE ROUTE or anything useful like that. Because if you were actually able to connect the route, you might just BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY DO THE JOB. The one the trainer really doesn't want to quit, but did so because things weren't going well and....

You know the one.

The one who has decided that you really don't need to do all the things you've actually been HIRED TO DO, and so goes to people other than your boss to get them to take on the parts you really don't need to do, even though you've been HIRED TO DO THEM, without asking you or your boss first, or anything silly like that. So you have to go around behind the person, cleaning up All The Mess that the person is trying to make of your WNJ.

Yeah, that's the one.


The one who, two days before leaving, decides to order all new equipment, all new office-ware, and all new everythingyoudon'tlike and wouldneverorderinamillionyears, just because THEY like it, and of course, will not have to deal with the consequences once they are gone from the position they really didn't want to leave, but things just got so they weren't going well, and they really don't mean to......

And the one who, by a cruel twist of fate, has extended the leaving date until NEXT WEDNESDAY, even though it was supposed to be tomorrow and even though I officially take over on Monday.

Not that I would EVER complain about any aspect of The Training Process, if you could actually call it that. Or anything else. Because, as we all know, it's just my nature to grin and bear it.

Ahem.

AHEM.

It's enough to make a grown woman cry. And me, too.

So, if I happen to be absent from Bloggyworld for the next, oh, hundred years or so, please don't forget me. I will eventually return.

Broken, bleeding, and scarred, but eventually.

(You can always tell the great emotion I'm feeling by the GREAT AMOUNT OF CAPITAL LETTERS USED, so I'm thinking there are GREAT AMOUNTS OF EMOTION in this post. Either that, or I am in dire need of both editing AND therapy.)

In the meantime, celebrate with me that God is once again certain that I need to learn more of that elusive quality of patience, and He's once again teaching me in spades. SPADES, Ladies and Gents.

Because if He wasn't, one of us would be pushing up daisies by now.

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

8 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Oh, Chris, I am PRAYING for you! Hang in there. It will get better...especially after WEDNESDAY! :)

Pilot Mom said...

Oh, I forgot...thank goodness you are NOT a complainer...I mean, sheesh, you could/would have so much to complain about. ;)

HeyJules said...

The bad news: Yes, it will be a rocky start.

The good news: She really WILL have to leave.

The bad news: She will leave and you won't know what to do.

The good news: Everyone will remember who trained you and give you a break while you REALLY learn how to do the job.

The bad news: You may have a heart attack from all the stress.

The good news: You have an extra week of vacation now so you can use that time to recover from the heart attack.

I LOVE YOU AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE GREAT AT THIS!!!

Susanne said...

Oh dear. Hang in there. Saying a prayer for you! And remember: "You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you!"

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

HANG IN THERE, EVEN WHEN THE CAPITALS ARE SEIZING YOU. You were put there for a reason. Be strong and courageous!

Linds said...

Hang in there from me as well. I SO know what you are talking about. It will work out. You may just have to leave the caplock on for a week or 2. That is fine with us!

Girl Raised in the South said...

I am sorry youre having such a rotten time of it, but this did crack me up. A new job is rough on a good day - this one sounds a bit over the top for the breakin' in period. Hang on - it'll be smoother sailing soon, at least I pray so. Literally.

Patience said...

You really will make this job yours. Right now the job is still the other person's, and will be until they actually walk out the door. You'll rearrange stuff to suit you, and you'll keep the stuff you want and get rid of the other. You will make it work for you! And you'll wonder what you ever worried and fretted about!!