Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Why Yes, I Will Have Some Dirty Socks With My Coffee

This morning I got up and fixed chocolate-chip pancakes for my offspring. Daughter came downstairs with the usual brighten-anyone’s-day smile and attitude, spreading joy and happiness wherever she went. Son jumped out of bed to greet the new day, gave me a hug and said, “What delicious concoction have you come up with for breakfast today? I’m starving!“

Not.

Oh yes, I did make chocolate-chip pancakes. Yes, indeed. But that’s just about as far as the truth in that last paragraph goes.

Because y’all? My kids are just NOT morning people.

Daughter came downstairs in a sullen mood. When I spoke to her she decided it would be best to just look at me and roll her eyes. When I mentioned she didn’t finish cleaning the kitchen the way she was supposed to last night, I got another dose of eye-rolling with the added bonus of the shaking head and heavy sigh.

Why, good morning to YOU as well!


After she ate and left her dishes for me to clean up, Son hauled himself into the eating chair. Communication was just not going to happen with this young man, given he looked as though he’d just been hit over the head with a cob. Not a big breakfast eater, he settled for half a pancake and two glasses of chocolate milk.

We are nothing in the Singer household if not Healthy Eaters.

After eating the rest of his pancakes for my breakfast, I noticed I had fifteen minutes to spare. Absconding the silly ideas of putting in a load of laundry, cleaning the bathroom, or actually getting ready to go to work, I instead settled down to a more important task.

I read the blogs.

And may I just say this? Bloglines is a wonderful tool when it works the way it’s supposed to work. But lately? Not so much. So I decided to get my blog feed direct by going to each and every blog on the list. Now, given that I only had fifteen minutes, you can imagine how I had to rush. And I didn’t get to all of them before I noticed I was running late.

I was running late.

Imagine that.

So, being the on-time, dependable type that I am, I jumped up from the computer to get ready for work. In doing so, I upset my cup of coffee, which spread across the desk and dripped onto the carpet below. However, there was no need to fear.

Because, you see, I had the ever-ready Emergency Dirty Sock Pile right next to the computer.
(note: These belong to someone else. I got the photo from the web.)

We keep it there for just such an instance as I encountered this morning. Since all of them had been worn only a couple of times, they were still absorbent enough to sop up all that coffee and even more!

You may feel free to “Eeeewwwwww!!” now.

Don’t worry; the area will be sanitized as soon as I get home from work today. I was just running too late to do it immediately. Again, imagine that. And the socks? They’re goners.

Just exactly WHAT is the Great Spiritual Truth you’re supposed to glean from this? There is none. It’s just a way to add a little laughter to your day. A little light. A little smile.

Because we all need that every once in a while.


Psalm 126:2
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." (NIV)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There really are so many things in this post that are shocking shocking...

My family is not morning people?
My mother was running late?
There was a pile of dirty laundry?

My entire perception is shattered... What has become of those whom I knew so well?

Oh, wait. No, I was thinking of a movie I was watching the other night. This sounds like the same people I know and love so well...

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You commented on my site a few days ago that we are separated by birth or something like that that made me smile--and so here I am reading about another who grabbed dirty laundry to mop up a spill. I promise you I have done the very same thing; I think it was socks, too! I love your site. Thanks for stopping by mine, and please come back, although it is ugly, but I'm working on that.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

One more (Two more) things: Just the fact that you linked to Prairie Home Companion means we are of the same ilk. And secondly, who designed your site?

Tammy said...

I finally found a way to comment on beta...yay!

Anyway, I read this last night and I just loved it....SO funny! :D

~Tammy http://familydoins.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Like Sean, I am just SHOCKED. I really don't know what else to say. I was just under this grand illusion that you were, indeed, June Cleaver and now I realize you are really just Roseanne Barr (but with a much cleaner mouth!)

*Walks away a shattered woman...*

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

And a very lovely face! :-) I finally am going to post the meme you tagged me with.