Saturday, December 02, 2006

Mr. Fix-It

In the past 48 hours we've had to replace three things that normally need replacing every 20 years or so. I wanted to share with you, my Very Close Friends, exactly what we've been through so that you, too, can share in our obvious joy.

One: The Telephone Line


It seems as though our friends, the neighborhood squirrels (no, not my next-door neighbors), had eaten through most of the telephone line. Since we do occasionally use it (like 24 hours a day, each and every day) we noticed there was a popping and crackling sound on it that wouldn't go away.

Oh, and people couldn't hear us, nor could we hear them, due to said Rice Krispie Effect. Small thing.

And our DSL service sucked eggs. Big time. We kept having to reset the modem because the phone line would knock us off of the internet. A BIG thing. A Very BIG Thing. So big, in fact, that I went into full-out, no-holds-barred, sweet-Yahoo-release-me-from-this-misery, gnashing-of-teeth-weeping-and-wailing, worse-than-no-caffeine WITHDRAWAL.

For the entire 45 minutes it took the man to replace the line.

I kissed his feet when he was done. I really did.

Two: The Furnace


Oh yes, the furnace.

At Christmastime.

We had the techs out to fix it a month ago. They replaced a Very Expensive Part, and it worked for a few days. They came back, fiddled with a few things, and it worked for a few days. The next time we made sure our regular guy came out. He took one look at the furnace and told us he had to shut it off immediately. It seems our furnace had turned into one of those carbon-monoxide-producing death traps, and he refused to let it run any longer.

Which made us feel oh, so very safe and warm inside.

Because, after all, on the outside we were going to freeze to death in an unheated house. Or die of carbon monoxide poisoning.


So we had it replaced. It took most of the morning yesterday, meaning the hubster got absolutely no sleep. Because, of course, one must WATCH the installation person at all times to be absolutely sure he is doing quality work. Even if said installation person has been doing this for most of his adult life and the watcher has never installed a furnace, ever. You just never can tell.

But at least my toes aren't cold anymore.

Three: The Main Power Line Into the House


Once the furnace was in and starting to warm up the house, I decided to bake some cookies. I turned on the oven to preheat it, and the lights started to dim and flicker.

Not good.

I finished the cookies, and suggested to the hubster we might want to call the power company. He wasn't sure if it was the power line or something the installation guy did with the furnace (even though he was being watched), and couldn't make up his mind if we needed to call someone. I, on the other hand, was SURE we needed to call SOMEONE rather than just watching the lights flicker and saying "Wow, wonder what's causing that?" all the time. I'm just a take-charge-and-get-it-done type of person. I'm really irritating in that way. Among many others.

So I called the power company. When they came out today, they told us the squirrels (again, not my neighbors) had almost eaten through the power line coming into the house. While we were in no eminent danger due to this, it was still something that had to be replaced. And replace it they did.

So we now are able to communicate with the outside world. We can do it in the warmth of our own home, with enough light to see by. Which set me to wondering....

What are some of the other things in my life that need to be replaced? What else is worn out? What needs to be tossed? I'm not talking about physical things. I'm talking about attitudes, habits, and ways of dealing with things that need to be changed for new or thrown out completely.

What if I could reach inside my head and take out that habit of procrastination, replacing it with a "do it now" attitude? How much more could I accomplish?

What if I could joke my way through it when one of my kids says something to try and get my goat, instead of lashing out in anger? How much more would they respect me?

What if I could steal the urge to overeat from my brain and replace it with a stronger urge to get and stay a healthy weight? How cool would THAT be?

It's something to ponder. And something to pray about.

Because only God can fix what's broken and worn out, or toss what needs to be gone.

All I have to do is call the Repairman.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (NIV)



2 comments:

HeyJules said...

You've certainly had your share of mishaps lately. Between all this and the three separate car accidents - God must really want you paying attention right now!

As for the squirrels...send them over to my place. I seem to be collecting them on my back deck at the moment. I'm thinking of building some squirrel condos and subletting them for additional income. :-)

Janean said...

TOO funny! I'm sorry all that yucky (expensive) stuff happened to you this week...but you told it in such a way as to make the rest of us smile...even if you weren't.
Found you from Half Pint House's white elephant party list. Gonna keep you on my "must read" if you don't mind! :D