Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Be Still and Know

You know, sometimes I just want God to hush.

I have a son who has a hard time being quiet. No matter what he's doing, no matter where he is, he just has to make noise. It could be his fingers drumming against the table. He could pretend to play trumpet, and make the noise without the instrument. He could hum, snap, beat out a rhythm, talk, sing, make kooky noises with various parts of his body, or do any and/or all of the above.

I love the kid. I truly do. But he drives me absolutely NUTS sometimes.

When we're in the car, everyone else will be quiet, thinking their own thoughts, dreaming their own dreams. Everyone, that is, except Son. He's trying to find new ways to make noise. New ways to make sounds. New ways to imitate instruments, birds, dogs, cats, wind, motors, guns....

And it never ends. No matter what you threaten or do to him, HE JUST WON'T STOP.

This is not conducive to sanity in any form. It's kind of like the infamous Chinese Water Torture. Or the Energizer Bunny. Or taxes. Never ending. Always there. Nonstop.

It's also like God.

God has a really irritating habit as well. When He wants me to do something, write something, call someone or go somewhere, He WILL NOT STOP telling me until I actually do whatever it is He has in mind. He keeps giving me that nudge, pushing me to do what He wants me to do. And the more I resist, the louder He gets.

Sometimes I wish He'd just hush. Be still. Leave me alone to do what *I* want to do. But He has other ideas.

You see, when GOD makes noise, you can bet there's a good reason. Unlike my son's vocalizations and cadences, God has a purpose. And usually that purpose has to do with me obeying Him.

Oh, I can pretend to ignore him for a while. I can refuse to listen. I can make excuses and I can conveniently forget what it is He's told me to do. But HE doesn't forget. And in the end, if I refuse to obey, it usually ends up that I lose not only the chance to do so, but the blessing as well.

That's why you're going to hear about some of my more personal struggles in the days to come. He wants me to open up and share my heart, my life, and my faith. It's a scary thought, but if I've learned anything about His nature, it's this:

He ain't goin' NOwhere, so I'd best behave.

Even if it does drive me nuts.

John 9:31
We know that God listens only to people who love and obey him. God doesn't listen to sinners.

3 comments:

kpjara said...

God does that same thing to me!

BTW: I LOVE your picture!

HeyJules said...

Yes, everyone...that's a picture up there of my friend, Chris. Isn't she beautiful? Can't ya just see God shining through her?

As for the son with the drumming fingers - I'm with ya, sister. That would make me nuts. Almost as nuts as it does when God does that to me!

Chris said...

Kim - thank you! I have BooMama to thank for getting me to post it.

Julie - thanks as well! And hey, you never told me *I* would get the "God urge" like you do. Could you WARN a woman once in a while? :)