Sunday, October 08, 2006

Forever and Ever, Amen

Nothing in this world is permanent.

In a way, that bothers me. I want things to be the same. I want to be able to count on things like losing weight if I eat less, loving my job, having my mother around, and knowing my husband loves me. I want to be sure I'm always able to take care of myself and my family, sure the lights will come on when I flip a switch, and sure my knees will bend when they're supposed to.

But things tend to change. That's the way of life.

Although I yearn for permanent, perfectly trimmed and pedicured toenails that never have chipped polish, I know that won't ever happen. I have to get my hair cut every six weeks or so, no matter how perfect my last haircut was or how much I liked the style. My children are growing up, and that means all kinds of changes are taking place with them. My parents are getting older and will not be as self-sufficient as they are now in just a few short years. I want eyesight that doesn't fade, health that doesn't fail, and a really good chocolate chip cookie with no calories.

Pipe dreams, all.

Because life is all about change. Nothing will remain the same forever. Babies are born and people die. Friendships come and go. People change jobs, and children grow. Hearts continue to be uplifted and broken, and the house won't stay clean by itself no matter how hard you try. Today's beauty will be tomorrow's ashes. The fairly new car we bought in 2004 will be just another hunk of metal to fill up the auto junkyard of 2020.

Nothing is permanent. Nothing belonging to the world in which we live will be here forever.

NOTHING.

So what CAN we count on? Here's my list:

  1. Faith, Hope, and Love

    1 Corinthians 13:13 Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.
  2. God

    Psalm 73:26 My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.
  3. The Word of God

    Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever.
  4. We will live with God forever!

    1 Peter 1:23 For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God.
  5. Jesus Christ

    Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.


These are the promises which stick in my mind. These are the things I can be sure of. These are the permanent, never-changing truths in which I place my hope and trust.

Because without them, I can count on nothing.

But with them - with them I can count on FOREVER.

Revelation 21:4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.

No comments: