Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Too Soon Gone

Yesterday afternoon, my friend Mikey passed away.

There is no doubt in my mind where he is now. Michael was a strong Christian who shared his faith with anyone who had the great honor to know him.

I first met him in the basement of the pastor's house. I was new to the band, and Michael played guitar and sang lead. The basement was, at that time, where we rehearsed.  Since we were a church with no permanent building, we rented a school on the weekends and used their auditorium.

Our repertoire was larger than any other band in history, or so it seemed. We did country, bluegrass, Beatles, rap, and a lot of Christian artists. Harmony was our forte, and most times we did it well.

Mikey and Todd were the usual leads, while three others, me included, harmonized and sang backup. We sang for weddings, funerals, an Easter Egg Hunt called the Eggstravaganza, and almost anywhere else we were asked to provide music.


Mikey, Jetta, me, and Todd at the Eggstravaganza

I sang with the band for over ten years. During that time, Michael's talent was always there, always able to adapt to any style. He was a constant.

More than that, he became a dear friend. 

This past year of his cancer diagnosis, treatment, and finally acceptance of the inevitable has been so hard for his friends and family. I know God has a reason, and HE knows what it is. I just wish he would let all of us know.

Michael was too young at 42 to be taken. He had too much to do, too much loving and raising kids, and loving his wife and family and God. He had too many people who cared and prayed for him and loved him.

Too many for him to be gone so soon.

I miss our band, our band of friends. Kevin is gone, and now Mikey. 

I told Mikey the last time I saw him that we would sing together again. I can't wait for that day. 

No comments: