Thursday, October 07, 2010

Half A Glass

I am not a "glass half full" type of person.

It makes it difficult, because I am married to a "glass half full" type of man. He always sees the bright side of things. He's always thankful for what we have. He's content. He doesn't worry about tomorrow, or if the kids will end up being axe murderers because we didn't punish them for not observing curfews.

He goes with the flow.

And frankly, he drives me nuts.

Being the "glass half empty" type, I always think about what COULD happen. What if the sun is shining today, and then a tornado hits? What if we don't have enough money to retire? What if we can't afford a new roof (car, washing machine, hair dryer) when we need it? What if the kids can never balance a checkbook? What if THEY END UP LIVING WITH US FOREVER????

It would be worse than them being axe murderers.

And Hubster would love it.

I, however, would be driving along the highway looking for some kind of shack to hole up in after the Storm of Mass Proportions that would hit shortly after the youngest graduated from college and didn't find a job.

Did I tell you the last child is in high school now? He'll graduate in 2012 - that is if he lives that long. We've been having a hard time as of late, he and I. I suppose it all comes with being sixteen.

And believe me, at this point there ain't nuthin' SWEET about it.

As a matter of fact, if I had that half-empty glass right now, I do believe I'd pour the rest of it on his head.

Tomorrow, of course, he'll do something totally sweet and kind and lovely and wonderful that will make me remember the the good and decent kid that he is. He'll come up and give me a hug all on his own. He'll do something the first time I ask, rather than making me threaten to take his phone or his car away before he moves. He'll offer to help with dinner, or set the table, or mow the yard without grumbling.

And then I'll be more like his father, and I'll look at our full-to-the-top glass and wonder how life could get any better.

No comments: