Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Sabbath Snooze or Two

Sabbath is a wonderful thing.

Orthodox Jews have the right idea. From sundown Friday until sundown Saturday no work is done. No cooking, no cleaning, no nothing. I think they may take it to the extreme, as almost all religions do one thing or another, but in general they're on the right path. We all need a day a week to regenerate. To rest. To recharge our batteries and regain perspective for the week to come.

And then there are those of us who abuse even the extreme.

For instance, me. For instance, today.

Last night I stayed up Very Late Indeed. I finally hauled my quite substantial behind into bed around 2 a.m. This morning I woke up around 11 a.m. I accomplished the sum total of taking a shower and getting dressed for the entire day before going back to bed with a migraine at 4:30 p.m. Due to said migraine, I took a couple of Vicodin. After a couple of hours, when said Vicodin had done absolutely nothing to help with the migraine, I took more.

And I slept until 10 p.m.

It is now 1 a.m and the migraine's tentacles are reaching back out over the right side of my head and through my right eyeball. Since the best way to avoid it is to sleep, my Sabbath is lasting a little longer than most. Since the Vicodin supply is dwindling, I think I may switch to the Acme Ball Peen Hammer I keep under my side of the bed for just this type of circumstance. It's cheap and not habit-forming.

Try not to wake me as you leave the blog, k?

No comments: