Sunday, July 06, 2008

Believe It Or Not

I cooked dinner tonight!

OK, so I didn't really COOK dinner in the true sense of the word. I actually browned some hamburger and added Ragu to it, and then poured the whole mess over some spaghetti noodles I boiled.

It was not my most spectacular and shining culinary moment.

However, it was a meal. At home. At the dinner table. Which is a feat in and of itself these past few weeks. Tomorrow we may not be so fortunate, so I'm taking family meals where I can get them.

Well, if you consider "family" to be Hubster and me alone, being as The Boy is spending the weekend with a friend and The Girl went out to eat with another friend.

So to recap, I "cooked" for the "family" and we ate at home. I think that about sums it up.

But wait, there's more!

Last night around 9:30 p.m. I made the bargain purchase of ALL TIME. Seriously. And I'm about to let you in on it.

Our local Hy-Vee grinds premium hamburger every day. I'm talking 90 to 95% lean here, folks. This is the stuff they keep behind the counter and weigh out for customers like a butcher shop does, not the stuff that's packaged, wrapped and set out in the cooling case.

At 8 p.m. the specialty meat department closes. Since they grind the premium stuff every day, around 9:30 p.m. they package and set out the leftover premium stuff in large packages (5 - 7 lbs. each) at the bargain price of $1.99/lb. so they can get rid of it quickly.

Last night I bought all of it they had, seven packages, and a box of quart-sized ziplock bags.

We're in Hamburger Heaven for quite some time, folks.

At the same time I found boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for $1.99/lb. and ice cream for $2.50 for half a gallon.

Can I get an AMEN! from the congregation???

And to top it all off, I spent enough to get ten cents a gallon off of any gas purchased at the Hy-Vee tanks. Being as my tank was empty, I took advantage of that little blessing.

I don't know if I've said this before or not, but folks?

God is good.

5 comments:

zztop357 said...

When it comes to groceries I'll take the bargains.You never know who's gonna pop in here at any meal. I always cook extra.Whats left are called reruns.LOL
I say save that penny when you can. God Bless you Chris. Have a good week. Donna

Linds said...

Now why can't we have one of those places here too, I ask?????? Cooking is cooking. You are to be congratulated!

Susanne said...

Hey, that is a homemade meal, if I ever heard of one.

Great deals.

Susie said...

Hi Chris,
Just came over from a link at Linds, and wanted to say hi. Those sound like some great grocery (and fuel) deals!
I was reading back about your Mom's stroke, and I'm so sorry to hear that. I've said a prayer for her. Much of what you've written is so familiar as I went through it with my Grandma, Mom and Grandpa, so I truly know the stress you're feeling.
I'll visit you again soon..

Unknown said...

Hi Chris, I found you through Linds' blog. I just knew that if Linds thinks so highly of you then yours would be one blog I want to be sure to visit. I was right!!

I truly enjoyed your postings. I guess soft drinks in glass bottles really does date a person, doesn't it. Did you let your son know that you could take those empty bottles back to the store when empty for cash...Wow! How cool will he think that is?

Have a great week Chris and come by for a visit when you have a chance. My door is always open and the welcome mat is out.