Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stranger Things Have Happened

Sit down, Interweblings, because I'm about to give you the shock of your lives.

No, it isn't the fact that I, an old dog (so to speak) can learn new tricks and have freshened up the blog BY MYSELF WITHOUT THE AID OF OTHERS thankyouverymuch. Although for me, that's an accomplishment that's right up there with learning to ride a bike.

And let me just say this: While it served me well during my elementary and junior high school years, of late that particular talent has been used just about as much as the Algebra that I still cannot figure out, almost flunked, and have had no earthly use for up to now, so why on EARTH did I have to take the stupid class to begin with? I mean really, did they expect ME to be a "nuculer" physicist (and thank you, President Bush, for that fine pronunciation) or something?

I think not.

But I ramble.

No, my dear friends. This is even more monumental than the blog thing or the bike thing.

I WALKED TWO MILES TODAY. Without anyone coercing me, threatening me, or poking me with a sharp stick. All by myself.

I think I shocked Hubster as well.

I've been thinking about it for a long time, and today provided the opportunity. After work I came home, sat and talked with Hubster for a bit, then said, "I'm going for a walk." I went upstairs, changed clothes, got my water bottle and MP3 player and set off, trying valiantly to ignore the fact that Hubster's jaw was still hitting the floor as I left.

I walked out the door and down the street to the cemetery, which covers several acres of land. The roads through the cemetery are great to walk on since the traffic is usually dead, as are the inhabitants.

I can't believe I said that.

Anyway, after a good long walk I began not to feel my thighs or feet anymore, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. Also, in case you're wondering, this is a sure sign you've walked enough for the day. Unfortunately, I was still two blocks from home at the time.

I dragged my behind in the door and collapsed in a chair. I was hot, I was starving, and I needed a shower. You'd think I'd just run a 25-mile marathon or something. So, while Hubster made the spaghetti sauce, I showered and came downstairs in dry clothing.

And promptly ate my weight in pasta.

I believe they call that carb-loading, which is what we athletes do. Only I think you're supposed to do it BEFORE you tax your body to the maximum instead of after.

So I ate a pound of M&Ms for dessert to compensate.

Oh, I'm kidding. It was only half a cup or so. Heavy on the "or so."

I see a great future in this new fitness regimen I'm on. I'll keep you updated as to the progress.

But the M&Ms are all mine.

5 comments:

HeyJules said...

Well, look at you go! I'm so proud of you on both accounts!

Linds said...

You will be happy to know that I shared this bit of fitness training advice with my friends in the staffroom today. 17 of us are doing the Race for Life run on the 1st June, and we are supposed to be training. They think you have the right idea!
Mind you, the picture of me trainign is a juke. I can barely hobble at the moment, but I am confidently predicting that I will finish the run.(RUN???) Maybe with a zimmer frame.

Linds said...

That would be training and joke. The eyes have disintegrated along with the mind.

Susanne said...

That so sounds like exactly what I would do. Replenish the energy.

I finally decided I was going to start walking at least a couple miles daily. It promptly blew a snow storm in the next day. A week later it's finally starting to warm up and quit snowing. Sigh.

groovyoldlady said...

Bully for you! I need to try your training diet. Mine looks more like leafy greens and lean protein with a 1/2 a power bar and some skim milk thrown in to prevent toal collapse.

And, is it my imagination, or are these STUPID word verifications (which, incidentally rarely, if ever, contain actual words) get smaller and squigglier every time I get online? The current one is "lkjnsdkjghl eubjhbvybshbayrb" or something like that.

No, apparently that WASN'T it. I just increased the font size about 400 times and I STILL can't read this one.

Perhaps "YnGjbsdgb"?

Wait! A New one! I still had to blow it up, but it definitely says "spahis".

How come he gets a spa and I don't???