Thursday, September 06, 2007

Because We Love Us Some QUALITY Family Time

Oh my word.

I am about to confess to something I never thought I would ever tell a soul outside my own little close-knit household of four (at this time...the rest are grown and gone). A secret so dark and forboding I can't even say it out loud for fear the very walls will collapse around me.

Come closer.

I have to whisper in your ear, because really, you'd never think this of me.

A little closer. I really don't want this to get out. And I know I can trust you, right?

(deep breath)

Here goes....

My family and I are avid watchers of ...(gulp)...




Hubster was the first to go. He's watched it from the beginning. And then it ensnared each of the children. But me? I stayed strong. The computer is in the other room, you see. The computer and I formed an alliance worked together to maintain some sort of sanity in the home.

But then it happened.

One night I didn't get dinner started until late. We were having some kind of slop wonderful concoction that I was sure the kids and the Head of Household Hubster would veto love. Because the show had already started when we sat down to dinner and because Hubster absolutely cannot miss it for the world, we watched it as we ate.

And I was hooked.

From then on it's been THE family thing we do together, strange though it may be. We always eat dinner together at the table on BB8 nights, and we always get done in time to take our places in front of the television before it starts. We plan out family strategy, we choose sides, we gloat, we yell, we throw up our hands in disgust, and we applaud.

All over a silly television show.

But it's more than just a television show. With most shows, you sit in front of a box and watch. With this show, my whole family actually talks to one another. We play the game with the contestants, even though we aren't a part of it. The show is secondary to the interaction we have as a family.

It's a good thing.

This season a strong Christian woman made it to the final four. Now, without some divine intervention there's no way she'll win, but she certainly has been a witness for her faith while she's been in the house. Jameka has shown integrity and the love of God to the others in the household, even while being berated for that faith. And she's done it on national television. I doubt I'd be that strong.

So if you get a chance, you might just lift up Jameka in prayer. Not that she would win, but that she would continue to glorify God and to be strong in Him during the time she has left to play the game.

And if you'd told me I'd ever (1) be watching a reality show and (2) be praying for someone on a reality show, I'd look at you like you'd been hit over the head with a cob, so I know what you're thinking.

Just humor me.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

Too funny. The kids and I get into Survivor and Amazing Race. It's nice to hear that someone can walk out their faith on a show like that. I know many have tried on the other two shows and it's like they are purposely set up to make them fail. A lot of pressure, for sure.

HeyJules said...

I watched the first three seasons - couldn't get enough of them - and then, somehow, I broke the power they had on me. Now I'm all about the "Top Chef" and "Project Runway" shows - but I still catch the occasional BB episode.

One more stupid thing we have in common, I guess...