Monday, January 01, 2007

It's A Matter of Choice


The drapes are up.

The very same drapes I've been looking at, in the same bag I brought them home in, since January 2006.


You see, there was thinking that had to be done about the whole drapery process. Considering and reconsidering the color, the pattern, the quality of the fabric. Thinking about the history of draperies in the modern world, whether having draperies in the area would impede the light-filtering processes of the shades currently installed, if the drapes would make the room too dark, if furniture coverings to match said draperies could be found (not yet), and so on, and so on, and so on.

In short, I was scared to death.

I was scared to make a mistake. Scared that other people would think I'd made a bad choice. Scared to try, and scared to fail. So scared that I waited a whole year after the actual purchase to even think about putting them up.

All this over a stupid set of drapes.

And so tonight marked the first of my steps forward in
the list. I made the choice to move forward, rather than sitting around doing nothing.

I MADE THE CHOICE...

Because God's been talking to me again.

The basic word I've been getting from Him is that for me, 2007 is the Year of Choice. Not that 2007 is going to be a "choice" year, as in a choice cut of meat, but that 2007 is going to be the year when I will make choices. Choices about my life and what I do with it. Choices about the path I follow as I seek Him more. Choices about finances, weight, housekeeping, school, marriage, raising the kids....LIFE. Choices about whether I'm going to let God lead me, or if my stubborn, rebellious nature will take over.

The choices I make this year will impact the rest of my life. Not because they will be life-altering choices, but because they will be decisions to move forward or to stay in the same rut I've become accustomed to during my time on this earth.

Free will is a wonderful, horrible thing. It can give you wings, or it can weigh you down. It's up to you and me to make the choices that make the difference between the two.

During 2007, I hope you fly!

This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live

4 comments:

Susanne said...

It does come down to choices doesn't it. Praying all your choices move you forward this year!

HeyJules said...

The drapes are up? They are UP! I'm so proud of you!!!

Making choices...taking flight...me thinks I smell a 50th birthday on the horizon...

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

The drapes are obviously a good choice! Yeah, someone once said, "Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a lifetime." It's all about the small choices, in the end.

kpjara said...

I love the way you write...have I told you that? Thanks for all your wisdom and wit!