Thursday, December 07, 2006

My First Meme

Thanks to HeyJules for tagging me with this. I was afraid someone would, and now you get to see all my dirty Christmas laundry. Speaking of laundry, don't I need to go do a load about now?... No?....You sure???

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?

Both, please. In different cups, of course! And the "light" version, if you don't mind.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa is FAR too busy to wrap each and every present, even with all those elves. He sets them on the hearth along with the stockings he fills.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

COLORED. What is it with monochrome lighting these days??? It's so....plain.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

Only if I remember to buy it.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

The older the kids have gotten, the later the decorations have gone up. It's still before Christmas, and we still go get the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, but it may not go up until the week before Christmas.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

Turkey and dressing. OK, I know that's really two, but they go together. And gravy. So it's turkey and dressing and gravy. Oh, and cranberrry sauce....

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child:

Kind of a tossup. One is the year I got my bike. The other is the year I was very little and my parents didn't see Santa until Christmas morning. When they saw him coming they made me go into my room and shut the door. They said if I peeked before they told me I could come out, Santa would take all my presents back. I remember hearing the sleighbells and getting so excited I could hardly stand it while I was waiting!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

You mean the weight problem thing? I think I've always known Santa has a problem with overeating.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Yes, but ONLY ONE. And it's usually jammies.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

The kids do this every year. Dad puts the lights on (colored, of course), then the kids take over. When they were little all of the ornaments ended up on the bottom third of the tree and were secretly placed higher by elves. In later years they fight over who got to put the star on top last year. We have ornaments that date back over 30 years, and we add one or two every year.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?

When I worked for the newspaper I HATED it. Now that I don't, I LOVE it!!!

12. Can you ice skate?

This is one of my dirty little secrets...I HAVE NEVER PUT ON A PAIR OF ICE SKATES. I can rollerskate, but I've never tried ice skating.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

Had to have been my bike. Yup, the bike.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?

I draw closer to God through the traditions of Christmas. Baking cookies and watching old movies, watching the kids decorate the tree while Christmas music plays in the background, attending church...all are important parts of the season for me. I see God working to help me remember His Gift through each of these things.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Cookies. Hands down. Handfuls of them.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

See #14. It's hard to choose just one.

17. What tops your tree?

A star. I got a new one a couple of years ago because all the glitter had fallen off of the old one...after all, it IS almost 30. My husband protested, so we still find a place for it on one of the other branches.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

Giving. Without a doubt. And to know I got just the right gift? Heaven!

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

Angels We Have Heard On High ranks right up there because of the "Gloria" part. But Silent Night is special in its own way.

20. Candy canes:

Nice to look at and decorate with, but eating them? Plain? Not so much. Now, stick that plain old cane in some hot chocolate, and oh, the bliss!

21. Favorite Christmas movie?

You might as well say "movieS" because they all have a place in my heart. It's a Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn, The Bells of St. Mary's, The Bishop's Wife, White Christmas....

22. What do you leave for Santa?

Cookies and milk, of course!

Tag goes to Kim, Chili, and Singing Owl if they'd like to participate!

6 comments:

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Love #8!! Funny!

kpjara said...

Dear Friend,

I love this Meme and I already did it...so just scoot down through my postings last week and you'll find it. I don't remember the date...

I love you answer to #18 and I totally agree. I love to find/create the most perfect gift for each person and that is about half the holiday pleasure for me.

Anonymous said...

You're supposed to give presents on Christmas?

HeyJules said...

So we both loved getting our bikes, eh? Just another knot in the string of coincidences that is our lives...

Girl Raised in the South said...

Loved reading your take on this meme - some of the questions, when I read the answers out there in blogland it sounds like we all grew up in the same house, or neighborhood at least.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

LOL at # 8.

Okay, I will play--tomorrow maybe. And WHY did Bloglines send you the last 26 posts!? Egads! Sorry! ;-)