Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Exercising My Belief

I did it.

Not only today, but for the past two days.

I actually exercised.

Me. The One Who Will Not Move Unless Fire Is Overtaking The Building.
Me. The Seated One.
Me. The Lover of All Things Sedentary.

I got up off of my hiney and moved. Really. And y'all? I even STRETCHED before I did it. Oh yes, I did.

At this point you may be asking the same question that has been running through my mind. No, it isn't "Will she continue?" although that has been a concern of mine. No, the question I have to ask is "WHAT ALIEN BEING HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF MY MIND AND BODY???" After all, not only have I been EXERCISING (did I mention that already?), but I have been CLEANING THE HOUSE.

Now, I wouldn't put it past God to work miracles in the modern day, but I must admit I'm somewhat of a skeptic when it comes to them happening in my own life. I can believe He parted the Red Sea. I can believe He made manna fall to the ground to feed those who wandered in the desert for so long. I can believe Jesus walked on water and healed sick people and raised others from the dead.

But when it comes to me? Not so much.

I tend to find it more likely that I'm somewhat manic/depressive and that I'm going through a mild manic phase. That would explain it, right? I mean, why bring the God thing into it at all? It won't last, and for now I've got it covered. I don't need the God aspect of the whole thing.

Or do I?

I know how things usually end up when I take control of them. Let's just say it ain't pretty. And the funny thing is, every time I try to do things on my own power, I screw them up.

So why can't this be my own little miracle? Why can't I rely on God to help me with these things I've been praying to overcome for such a long time? Why do I have such a hard time believing it could happen? Why can't history be changed, beginning today?

God, it's Yours. I give it all to You, right here and right now. You are the only way I will ever maintain the good that is going on in my life. You are the source of all good. You are the Holy One, the Miracle Worker. Work a miracle in me, Lord! I believe You can and You will. Help my unbelief, I pray.

Mark 9:23-24
"What do you mean, `If I can'?" Jesus asked. "Anything is possible if a person believes." The father instantly cried out, "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!" (NLT)

3 comments:

Just Me said...

Hey! Good one! I totally get you!! I've got so much faith for other people and miracles in their lives..but like you...I under estimat that the same God who moves mountians, could move me off the couch to start walking! I mean, I can't possibly be any less grounded in my position than that mountian, right?!! I loved the line " You are the source of all good." It finally hit me when I read that ( DAH!!) that the good things I am already doing in my life are FROM Him, and IN Him. So, those things that are not going so well ( excerise and weight lose being 2 biggies) - well my problems with dealing with them, are rooted IN ME!! Ahhh...this isnt' making sense when I type it out..but it was a revelation to me - so thanks for that! Think I'll pull out my W.W. today and get counting my pointed again! Thanks for the encouragement to BELIEVE that God can help me too!

kpjara said...

Thanks for this post. I can totally relate in trying to do stuff for myself and it just n*o*t working well.

HeyJules said...

Crap. Now that means I gotta get going too.

Okay...